[Sca-cooks] Re:sweet oranges

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 19 08:32:21 PDT 2004

Platina is 1475 and Louis XI reigned 1461-1483, so that places some kind of
sweet orange in Europe during the latter half of the 15th Century.  But no
idea of whether these were hybrids, imports or some varietal that had been
around for a while.

IIRC, there was an orange market in Nice in the early 1400's, which might
tie in nicely to sweet varietals.

Sweet oranges being mentioned in European literature before sweet oranges
are supposed to have arrived.  Obviously there is an error in the arrival
date commonly quoted.  What a delicious conundrum!  And then there is the
problem of the derivation of the Valencye recipe.  This could be fun.

Bear