[Sca-cooks] Storing Bacon??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 23:52:20 PDT 2004

Katira commented:
> Bacon freezes just fine.  Once I have opened a
> package, I take each 2 or 4 slices and rewrap them.  I
> put all the packets into a freezer ziplock and then I
> can get at enough for 1 breakfast or 1 recipe or more
> without having to thaw an entire pound.  Seems to keep
> forever this way.
Interesting. I do imagine that separating just one or two pieces from a
frozen package of bacon is a bit difficult. At least to get the slice
off in a single, non-mangled piece.

However, I'm wondering if are then thawing the individual pieces before
cooking them. Or can you simply pull the frozen slices from the freezer
and put them directly into the microwave or into the hot skillet? The
latter would seem to be much quicker and easier when (I at least) am
still half asleep.

I did recently have to throw out a partial package of bacon which had
been in the refrigerator, uh, past its prime. So freezing bacon,
especially after we get a separate freezer, could be a cost savings.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com