[Sca-cooks] SCA in an obit on NPR

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 11:46:16 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net>
His local group is honoring his memory by raising funds for his widow and by
sending care packages to people still working in Iraq (Friedrich used to
share his care packages with other people in his group who didn't have
people to send them things.)

I will mention here that I have become involved with a website that lists requests from deployed troops, mostly in Iraq.  The site is http://www.booksforsoldiers.com
In addition to books, members send care packages of all kinds.  I have seen at least two other SCAdians volunteering there (and one I knew only because I recognized the mundane name).   If anyone is inclined to get involved in sending care packages to our troops, this is a good place to start.

Because we are all cooks here, I'll mention that soldiers are told to accept only factory-packaged foods, unless it comes from a family member or close friend.  This will not be an opportunity for you to practice your cookie-baking skills.  (However, I have seen a few requests for cookbooks.)

Feel free to spread the word about Books for Soldiers, but please DO NOT post the names and addresses of soldiers from the website anywhere else.  For more information, visit the website and see for yourselves, or email me offlist.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net