[Sca-cooks] translation?

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:05:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:45:32 -0500, Christina L Biles
<bilescl at okstate.edu> wrote:
> Are either of these anywhere close to the original?  Half the words don't
> show up in my Dutch-English dictionaries, and we don't have an early
> modern Dutch dictionary, actually, we don't have a good Dutch dictionary
> at all.
>
> I am particularly looking for
> ongesmolten (melted?, clarified?)
 not melted
(gesmolten, past participle of smelten, to melt)
(on, negation)

gesmolten -> melted
> vleesdach (meat something)
meatday
(vlees, meat)
(dach->dag, day)

> braeyvet (to bray?)
don't know this in english, but I think it means the fat wich has been
used to bake(?) with
(braey -> braden (cooking, ussually with putting it on a stick and
making it turn around near a heatsource))
(vet -> fat, might be lard)

> buyten
outside

> -Magdalena
>
> >From the Cocboeck of Carel Baten 1593.
> http://www.kookhistorie.com/index.htm
>
> 26 Om wit deegh tot pasteyen te maken.
> Neemt bloemen ende twee eyeren, ongesmolten boter ende alst vleesdach is,
> neemt dan braeyvet in stede van boter ende wat putwater ende werct dat
> tsamen tot deegh ende formeret soo ghy wilt. Nu voorts om de pasteycorsten
> te maken: so nemet bloemen, ongesmolten boter met cout water ende daer
> deegh af gemaect ende als ghy taerten daeraf maken wilt, so legt u taerten
> op schoon wit pampier ende dan van buyten ende van binnen met gesmolten
> boter gestreken ende neemt dan u spijse, al gemaect zijnde, in eenen pot
> oft so men wil ende legtse dan in den oven in deeg. Strooyt er op suycker,
> caneel ende boter ende latet soo backen.
>
> 26 for  blank dough to pasteyen to make.
> Take flours and two eggs, ongesmolten butter and alst vleesdach(meat
> something) is, Take then braeyvet in stead of butter and what well water
> and work that tsamen(together) to dough and formeret(form) soo thy wilt.
> Now further for  de pasteycorsten(pastey-crust) to make: so nemet(take)
> flours, ongesmolten butter with cout water and daer dough af gemaect(made)
> and als thy taerten daeraf(thereof) maken wilt, so lay you taerten on
> clean blank pampier(paper) and then of buyten and of within with gesmolten
> butter gestreken (make lines?) and Take then you spijse (food), already

it doesn't say anything about lines, jsut put butter on the inside and
on the outside of the crust

Finne