[Sca-cooks] translation?

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Wed Jul 21 15:45:32 PDT 2004

Are either of these anywhere close to the original?  Half the words don't
show up in my Dutch-English dictionaries, and we don't have an early
modern Dutch dictionary, actually, we don't have a good Dutch dictionary
at all.

I am particularly looking for
ongesmolten (melted?, clarified?)
vleesdach (meat something)
braeyvet (to bray?)
buyten

-Magdalena

>From the Cocboeck of Carel Baten 1593.
http://www.kookhistorie.com/index.htm

26 Om wit deegh tot pasteyen te maken.
Neemt bloemen ende twee eyeren, ongesmolten boter ende alst vleesdach is,
neemt dan braeyvet in stede van boter ende wat putwater ende werct dat
tsamen tot deegh ende formeret soo ghy wilt. Nu voorts om de pasteycorsten
te maken: so nemet bloemen, ongesmolten boter met cout water ende daer
deegh af gemaect ende als ghy taerten daeraf maken wilt, so legt u taerten
op schoon wit pampier ende dan van buyten ende van binnen met gesmolten
boter gestreken ende neemt dan u spijse, al gemaect zijnde, in eenen pot
oft so men wil ende legtse dan in den oven in deeg. Strooyt er op suycker,
caneel ende boter ende latet soo backen.

26 for  blank dough to pasteyen to make.
Take flours and two eggs, ongesmolten butter and alst vleesdach(meat
something) is, Take then braeyvet in stead of butter and what well water
and work that tsamen(together) to dough and formeret(form) soo thy wilt.
Now further for  de pasteycorsten(pastey-crust) to make: so nemet(take)
flours, ongesmolten butter with cout water and daer dough af gemaect(made)
and als thy taerten daeraf(thereof) maken wilt, so lay you taerten on
clean blank pampier(paper) and then of buyten and of within with gesmolten
butter gestreken (make lines?) and Take then you spijse (food), already
gemaect(made) are, in an pot oft so one wil and layse then in pine oven in
dough. Strooyt(Strew) there on sugar, cinnamon and butter and let soo
backen.(bake)

26 To turn dough blank into pasteyen.
flours take and two eggs, ongesmolten butter and alst vleesdach(meat
something) are, then braeyvet in stead of butter take and what well water
and work that tsamen(together) to dough and formeret(form) soo want thy .
Now in addition to make the pasteycorsten(pastey-crust): so nemet(take)
flours, ongesmolten butter with cout water and daer dough finished
gemaect(made) and as thy taerten want make daeraf(thereof), so lay you
taerten on clean blank pampier(paper) and butter then of buyten and of
with melted and brushed take then you spijse (food), already gemaect(made)
are, in an pot oft so one wants and layse then in pine furnace in paste.
Strooyt(Strew) there on sugar, cinnamon and butter and let back-up soo.

Sigh.  I really like the 17th century recipe from the Sensible Cook, but
it dates to 1683.

To Make Dough for Taerten

123 Om deegh te maken tot taerten
Neemt terwenmeel, boter, rooswater, suycker ende een weynigh eyeren, van
yder naer behooren.

Take Wheat-flour, Butter, Rosewater, Sugar, and a few eggs each as
appropriate.

-Magdalena