[Sca-cooks] an interesting semi-disaster

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Sat Jul 24 08:36:52 PDT 2004

>> Well, I dug some out with my finger- it's roughly the consistency of
jelly,   but firmer, if that makes sense- maybe jelly that's been in the
frig too  long? I'm sure that if I'd pulled it, I would have had taffy. Or
rather,  would have if it hadn't been so bloody hot today. It's sweet,
obviously,
 but tastes only faintly of raspberry, which is probably because what I
taste is that slightly-burnt sugar-that-got-too-hot taste.

> Problem is, thinking that this was going to be like regular sekanjabin
syrup, I put it into a nifty bottle- one of those bottles that the
pomegranate juice comes in- the one that's shaped like Mae West. :-) I'd
kind of like to use the bottle again, for a batch of sekanjabin that
doesn't turn into candy. But how to soften it up? I'd put it in the
microwave, but I'm afraid that would only solidify it. Then I would have
sekanjabin Jolly Ranchers!

 'Lainie, How about treating it like sugared honey?  You know, putting the
bottle in a pot with water, and slowly bring to a  simmer  then pour /spoon
out the contents . . . .
Caointiarn