[Sca-cooks] Re: Sample Class List for MK Cook's Symposium 2004

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 09:31:17 PDT 2004

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>Well, as I mentioned before, I'd be more than happy to add a handout to the
>teacher check-in packets that we give to instructors for the event. And one
>of the reasons I mention it here publicly instead of simply in a private
>email is because I think it's something other event stewards should consider
>(even if they choose not to, it's worth considering). If you'd like to write
>up a request, I'll include it. And you may want to think about putting a
>copy of it on the home page of the Florilegium for people to download too.
>An idea, at the very least.
>
>At the last Cook's Symposium we hosted we included handouts for all
>attendees to consider the Kingdom Arts & Sciences journal. I've no idea what
>the net result of subscriptions or submissions was after that handout was
>given, but it was well received by attendees because so many of them didn't
>know we *had* an A&S journal! I suspect that many a person won't have
>thought about submitting to the Florilegium either. I wouldn't be at all
>surprised to find out they simply think the information is culled and
>magically appears.
>
>Iasmin

I know that, in the past, the Heralds' Symposium has published a book of
proceedings...in that case, it was a book of papers submitted by various
members of the group. However, those who taught classes were seriously
encouraged to put something in the book. It proved to be very
helpful...in fact, I still have (somewhere) the proceedings from several
symposia while I was active as a herald. I did one symposium...and had a
staff member who was responsible for putting the book together and
getting it printed. We distributed it at the event as part of the event
fee, and folks who couldn't attend were able to purchase it by mail
order (this was a LONG time ago!!) IIRC, it was made available, along
with other editions from other symposia, through the SCA Stock Clerks'
Office. Nowadays, you could peddle it from the MK Cooks' page.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.