[Sca-cooks] RE: Meep! - Needing quick beef pastry recipe!

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Jul 27 17:27:11 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Okay.  Dumb cooking technique question....
> How does one go about shredding meats? I'm assuming they need to be
> pretty well cooked, but not dry? I think it'd be fun to try!
> --maire, who still needs a drool rag when she remembers the
> shredded-beef taco she got in Orange County (CA) several years ago...

Classic method, usually used by real barbecuers, is to take two forks and
seperate the fibers. One thing you do need to be sure of is that you'v'e cut
the meat so the fibers are fairly short- maybe one to two inches long. Even
three inches will work, but any longer than trhat and you have a bit of a
mess.

Usually some form of wet-cooking is the best cooking method for that- either
something like braising or boiling, or, if you're sure of your cooking
skills, sealing the meat so that all the juices stay inside and the various
bits of fat and such dissolve into gelatin and the like.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.