[Sca-cooks] Medieval Cooking 201

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 10:40:19 PDT 2004

>  Hello the List!!
>  After the challenge of the Virtual Cook-off,   could I get some ideas?
>For
>our Kingdom Collegium in August,  There seems be an interest in a step
>beyond "This is Medieval Cooking."   I have done hands-on redacting
>classes,
>and am planning a 2nd presentation of  "How to be a Head Cook"  But not
>sure
>where the focus should be.   From the Moas office,  I received this
>answer:"{there is}interest  in types of cooking, say preparing a period
>Italian/German/whathaveyou feast, where do you start, what are good
>sources,
>helpful hints, that kind of thing."
>
>     My Head Cook class covers Bibliographies  -- Jaella's & points to the
>Flori-thingy,  but I can't see just having a class that points people in
>the
>right direction of references /texts to obtain to do "whathaveyou"
>feasts/recipes.
>
>HOWEVER, I can envision a class "what every good Kitchen Wench should
>know."
>and going over techniques such as making pie dough,  grinding seeds &
>herbs,
>how to make "killer" stock,  the differences between stock & broth,  making
>almond milk, {and anything else you could suggest} etc.
>
>     Ideas? Hints?  Suggestions?
>
>     Caointiarn,  Kitchen Wench Extraordinaire

A list of pointers to different lists/sites/etc is definately a good idea
but I agree there is lots more to the head cook process besides deciding on
a menu.
Beginning with bidding for the event if that is a necessary step where they
live.
Deciding with the autocrat any theme.
Is lunch, fighters fare, etc coming from feast budget.
When is money available for draw-down.
Rounding up reliable kitchen staff.
Portion control and how to expand the existing recipe to feed how many
people.
Smart shopping tips like shared buying if more than one person is cooking
different meals at the event, and looking in non-traditional places for
items (farmers markets, wholesale places, butchers).
Deciding which items can be pre-prepped and how far out.
Other time budgeting issues.
Is there cooking/serving ware or are they responsible to provide.
Is there a cache of dry goods and/or spices available.
Who is in charge of getting and prepping servers.
Who is in charge of getting clean up crew.
Silly personal/staff care tips like drinking enough water, changing shoes,
taking a walk a few times a day to excercise long muscles, having asprin and
bandages, bringing a knife sharpener (and a knife), having the "plan two" at
a moments notice, being aware it's ok if some stuff doesn't go according to
plan (there really *was* a plan?!), eating (having something different from
what your cooking is the best plan to get folks to stop and sit and eat).

That's off the top of my head.  I know there are lots more.
Olwen