[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Crown Tourney Feast-Long

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:23:21 PDT 2004

>Greetings!  Iasmin said she'd send in a report on the scrumptious feast,
>but here's mine.  As she noted, the presentation was wonderful.  Every dish
>had something to decorate it, and several of the platters served to the
>"common folk" were on fake silver which was much nicer than plastic.  All
>the tables were decorated with white tablecloths, tea lights, flowers, and
>tiny ready-to-plant pots of an herb, wrapped in a bit of white cloth, which
>were gifts to the folk at the table.  At each place setting there also was
>a tiny, shaped piece of soap.  Mine was hemp oil and mint, shaped like an
>oak leaf.  Also on the table was a jar of sekanjabin syrup.  And, not just
>a plain jar, but one with live flowers decorating the rim.  They'd also
>included a bent spoon to serve as a ladle plus a small (plate? spoon
>holder?) to place it on when used.  The servers gave us all water and we
>could make our own mixture of sekanjabin if we wanted.  This was said to be
>only the second feast that the cooks - Lady Kadlin Oddsdottir and Lady
>Sigrid Grimmsdottir - had produced.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<giant snip!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>For dessert, the head table got a sugar paste church with tiny icing
>flowers, and even headstones!  We got gingerbread, sugar paste and orengat
>(candied orange peels) all arranged artistically on a pretty platter (not
>plastic!)  At the end of the feast, the King and Queen called out all the
>servers and kitchen help.  There were so many that they ringed half of the
>room.  The Canton of Brackendelve had helped the Barony of Roaring Wastes,
>the hosting group, put on one of the best feasts I've been to.  This has
>been a good year for excellent feasts in the Midrealm!
>
>Alys Katharine

What a great description!  Thank you for such a nice interpretation.  I
really like the sekanjabin syrup on the tables for folks to mix themselves
if they chose.  Everything sounded so very pretty.  I hope someone managed
to get pictures.  Please pass on my congratulations, if possible, to Lady
Kadlin and Lady Sigrid and the others for me.
Ah, making things look interesting and lovely is so fun.
Olwen