[Sca-cooks] More on potatoes and chilies

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jun 9 14:37:40 PDT 2004

At the moment, I'm proofing Paul Buell's latest book, "Dictionary of Chinese
Medicine" and found the following intriguing sentences, "Qing China
continued Ming economic trends. The population grew rapidly and reached
unheard of levels. This was in part due to New World crops such as the
potato and the chili." I'm asking him about the references now. FYI, his
timeline has the Ming dynasty running from 1368 to 1644, and the Qing
dynasty from 1644 to 1911. Am definitely wondering at introduction dates,
considering how quickly it appears that the two crops became an economic
power. And, were they white or sweet potatoes?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.