[Sca-cooks] herbals for insect protection

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 22:32:12 PDT 2004

  Kirsten Houseknecht asked:
> i make herbal sachets for pest repellent purposes for my clothing...
> now , admitting that everyone has different allergies, so YOUR choice
> of
> sachet and MINE would be different..  what are various peoples
> experience with *generally safe* herbs for pest repellents?
>
> how safe is woodrue in a sachet, for example?
> pennyroyal? (not essential oil, the cut herb)
Pennyroyal usually seems to come up on the cautionary list but others
know more about this than me.
There are these two files in the Florilegium though that you or others
might find useful.
insect-prtctn-msg (13K)  5/16/01    Insect repellants and protection.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/insect-prtctn-msg.html

And I think there may be some useful comments in this file:
herb-uses-msg     (32K)  2/15/00    Uses for various herbs. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/herb-uses-msg.html

And probably in a more period vein:
Pest-Control-art  (32K)  5/16/97    "Medieval Household Pest Control"
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Pest-Control-art.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas