[Sca-cooks] Siege Cooking Competition results (long)

nickiandme at att.net nickiandme at att.net
Mon Jun 21 06:07:51 PDT 2004

The whole report is located at: http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/lilies_xviii.htm
It includes photos. Click on photos to view larger ones.

But the report (sans photos) is:

Lilies XVIII – Seige Cooking Competition
Sponsored by HL Kateryn de Develyn

We had four teams compete this year. And wow! I don’t think the teams could
have done a better job of overwhelming the judges with their creativity and
their expertise. I know I was really happy and proud of what they produced for
the judges. We have some great cooks in our Kingdom of Calontir and those who
entered and demonstrated their talents in this competition certainly deserve to
be listed among the best!

I sat with the judges and tasted everything, although I didn’t contribute to the
judging other than to make happy noises as I tasted everything. There was
nothing served that I wouldn’t be happy to have at a feast. These folks came up
with some really good tasting stuff! And no duplicate recipes or flavors among
all the dishes of the teams. And that was amazing also.

Crystal Mynes – Team 1

Salad with Deviled Eggs
Bryndens with Strawberries and Ricotta Cheese
Fried Chicken Stuffed with Herbs
Fava Beans
Candied Carrots
Green Peas with Onions
Wilted Spinach Salad with Bacon Grease Vinaigrette
Leek and Chicken Soup
Fried Chicken Innards

This team went first – and the judges were amazed at the quantity and quality of
the presentation. There was color, textures, flavors and aroma! They candied
the carrots with the raw sugar – and it was good! And I’m not that fond of
candied carrots. So a –good- coming from me is high praise indeed. The leek and
chicken soup was outstanding. Their salad tasted excellent. The fava beans
–tasted excellent (I really want their list of ingredients and prep recipe for
my personal collection). I would serve those at feast anytime. The Fried
Chicken innards were crispy and looked good (as well as tasting good – I think I
had to try them oh three or four times before I could adequately judge them ;-)
sitting on their bed of spinach.

Ameleth Moor – 15th/16th Century English Sources

Pot Roasted Chicken
Chicken Breast with Braised Leeks
Soup
Salad
Peas with Ginger
Glazed Carrots
Strawberries with Cream Sauce
Chicken Breast with Fava Beans and Hard-boiled Eggs

This team presented their entry by carrying in their own table top loaded with
the dishes and heralding their entry. It was tres cool! They also explained
that they presented hard-boiled eggs to show that they had eggs to spare... and
to fool the enemy into thinking their larder was much more well-stocked than it
was. The braised leeks were excellent!. The peas with ginger were flavorful.
The pot roasted chicken was to die for. I thought the fava beans tasted very
good! And glazed carrrots made with raw sugar were a treat! I'm going to use
raw sugar from now for glazing carrots.

Iron Chef Goes Medieval –Platina

First Service - Salad with Herb Vinaigrette and Poppy Seeds
Flat bread with Herbs and Ricotta
Second Service - Fillet Chicken rolled around an herb and ricotta mix
Sweet Fritters flavored with apple slices
Fava Beans with Currents
Third Service - Soup – Leeks, Herbs, onions, peas, apples
Savory Fritters
Final Service- Strawberries with Sliced Apples and sweetmeats (sugared nuts)
Persian Tea
Sekanjabin

This team surprised us by offering Persian Tea (tea made from spices and herbs)
that was extremely refreshing. And their sekanjabin was excellent too! They
also were the first to present their dishes by service. The herb and ricotta
mix which the filled chicken was wrapped around was so good – I was ready to run
off with it screaming mine, all mine. They also presented three breads in the
form of fritters and flat breads. the Sweet fritters were really good. The
Savory ones were good also. And the flat bread – I could have taken more of it
home with me.

Fried Brains - Apicus

Gustum
chicken liver Pate
Carrot Chips (fried carrot shavings)
Cold Minted Chicken
Carrot Salad
Primus
Chicken Apicus (on a stick)
Sweetened Apples
Secondus
Stuffed Chicken
Peas with Bacon
Leeks and Apples
Firebrand Chicken/Bean Soup
Finale
Compote of early First Fruits (strawberries)
Crostatta di Ricotta (cheesecake)

This team had a recipe from Apicus for every dish they made. They also
presented it in services. The Gustum was excellent. They somehow managed to
sliver the carrots for the carrot salad. The dressing on it was good. The
chicken liver pate – I would serve at a cocktail party. And they found time in
their two hours to not only cook the chicken but also to chill it in their ice
chests to serve it cold. The chicken on the stick was well-seasoned. The peas
with bacon were tasty. And their Crostatta although still warm was excellent.
I could easily have eaten half or more of it in a sitting by myself.

The winning team was Fried Brains. I didn’t envy the judges in having to make
their decisions. I’m just happy I got to taste all the dishes.

My judges were: HE Mistress Diana, HL Bronwyn, and L Padraig. They were a
knowledgeable crew of judges and did not hesitate to taste any of the dishes.
They truly had a hard job. The teams were fairly evenly matched just by looking
at the quantity and quality of dishes each produced.

The competition was scored on:
Max
Points
Possible Description

20 Medieval recipe used as source for each dish
10 Medieval Presentation
50 Flavor/Texture/Appearance/Aroma
10 Using Fresh Herbs that can be seen growing onsite
(herbs must be store-bought or homegrown
(ie: not harvested/picked onsite) – state/park laws)
10 Judges discretion
10 Bonus points for limiting it to a single time period/country

The teams were allowed to go pick up their siege supplies in half-hour
intervals. They had two hours to prepare and then present back to the judges
their entry. This allowed the judges a half-hour each to judge a team’s entry.
This also worked well in having all the teams get the same amount of cooking
time.

I had a lot of fun sponsoring this competition. I hope everyone who
participated had fun also.

Thank you to the Lilies Team that allowed me to hold this competition.

Kateryn de Develyn