[Sca-cooks] SWEET wafers?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 05:10:14 PDT 2004

I was planning on making some wafers for the hospitality suite for Known
World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium this weekend, and noticed something very
interesting.  The only actual wafer recipes I have in my sources are from Le
Menagier.  None of his 5 versions mentions sugar or any other sweetening - they are
basically flour, eggs, wine, sometimes salt, and sometimes cheese.  I've made
these, and they've come out pretty bland, although the cheese ones come out
kind of like cheese crackers and are passable.  I suppose using a sweet wine
might make them a bit sweeter.

On the other hand, nearly every redaction I've seen for wafers includes sugar
and comes out sweet, like a modern pizzelle.  Are there any period (for my
purposes, 15th century and earlier, European) wafers recipe which call for
sweetening in the batter?

Brangwayna