[Sca-cooks] SWEET wafers?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 24 05:27:26 PDT 2004

Also sprach Bronwynmgn at aol.com:
>I was planning on making some wafers for the hospitality suite for Known
>World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium this weekend, and noticed something very
>interesting.  The only actual wafer recipes I have in my sources are from Le
>Menagier.  None of his 5 versions mentions sugar or any other
>sweetening - they are
>basically flour, eggs, wine, sometimes salt, and sometimes cheese.  I've made
>these, and they've come out pretty bland, although the cheese ones come out
>kind of like cheese crackers and are passable.  I suppose using a sweet wine
>might make them a bit sweeter.
>
>On the other hand, nearly every redaction I've seen for wafers includes sugar
>and comes out sweet, like a modern pizzelle.  Are there any period (for my
>purposes, 15th century and earlier, European) wafers recipe which call for
>sweetening in the batter?
>
>Brangwayna

The only sweet wafer I can think of offhand is in Gervase Markham,
which recipe, while published in 1615 CE, is probably really late
16th century, so it'd be a hundred years or more too late for your
purposes.

Perhaps sweet wafers would have been considered medically unsound
prior to that time (I believe there are some big changes in
prevailing European medical theory in the 17th century). But then, if
served with, say, hippocras and/or candied spices, it's not like
these people weren't ingesting sugar.

Adamantius