[Sca-cooks] SWEET wafers?

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Jun 24 06:30:14 PDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 8:10 AM, Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

> I was planning on making some wafers for the hospitality suite for
> Known
> World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium this weekend, and noticed
> something very
> interesting.  The only actual wafer recipes I have in my sources are
> from Le
> Menagier.  None of his 5 versions mentions sugar or any other
> sweetening - they are
> basically flour, eggs, wine, sometimes salt, and sometimes cheese.
> I've made
> these, and they've come out pretty bland, although the cheese ones
> come out
> kind of like cheese crackers and are passable.  I suppose using a
> sweet wine
> might make them a bit sweeter.
>
> On the other hand, nearly every redaction I've seen for wafers
> includes sugar
> and comes out sweet, like a modern pizzelle.  Are there any period
> (for my
> purposes, 15th century and earlier, European) wafers recipe which call
> for
> sweetening in the batter?

Here's one - though it has the cheese and such as well.

[Source: Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books]  Waffres. Take the Wombe
of A luce, & sethe here wyl, & do it on a morter, & tender chese
ther-to, grynde hem y-fere; than take flowre an whyte of Eyroun & bete
to-gedere, then take Sugre an pouder of Gyngere, & do al to-gederys, &
loke that thin Eyroun ben hote, & ley ther-on of thin paste, & than
make thin waffrys, & serue yn.

- Doc