[Sca-cooks] SWEET wafers?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 22:25:50 PDT 2004

Brangwayna asked:

Are there any period (for my purposes, 15th century and earlier,
European) wafers recipe which call
for sweetening in the batter?
<<<

There appears to be at least four different period (prior or just after
1600 AD) wafer recipes in this file in the Florilegium which use sugar.
I think two of these, are probably past your date though. Such as the
one mentioned by Markham. I forgot to check for dated before the 16th
century when I was scanning the file. Sorry.
wafers-msg        (76K) 12/ 4/03    Period savory and sweet wafers.
Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/wafers-msg.html

Stefan
--------