[Sca-cooks] period rice pudding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 28 21:34:08 PDT 2004

Finne commented:
> not sure whether it is useful, but take a look at this:
> http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/ryspot.html
> several rice pudding recipes, I also have a book at home claiming that
> origin of the ducht ricepudding (rice boiled in milk with
> safron/canelle) is mideastern, (btw, this ricepudding is ricepudding
> is probably eaten in the low countries, at least since the 13th
> century, as it is appearing in paintings from that period.
Does this book give any particular evidence for this, other than the
paintings? It seems like it would be real difficult to identify a rice
pudding from other puddings or porridges in a painting. And I suspect
most paintings are much later than the 13th Century.

The web link above does give several period recipes for rice pudding. I
guess I don't want to duplicate what has already been done there, but
do folks know of other period recipes for rice pudding? Or have
favorite redactions for these or for others? I did try some rice
pudding recently and decided it wasn't that bad, after all. I thought
then, that I might like to try to make some myself. Besides, I've also
decided that a rice-pudding-msg file might be a good addition to the
Florilegium. :-) Perhaps with the appropriate serving and eating
utensils, while not a finger-food, it might make a good pot luck dish.

Any ideas on how to dress it up some for a pot luck or feast dish?
Sprinkle slivered almonds on the recipes calling for almond milk? Of
course any rice pudding with saffron in it would have a gold or yellow
tinge or color.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas