[Sca-cooks] Re: A Toast to the SCA

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 07:45:39 PDT 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Clink, Clink, another drink to our early days
>>in the SCA!
>>
>>My first event was Feast of Fools 2000.
>>Extreme weirdness, even for Caid.
>>The Camel Drivers Roller Disco Belly Dancers
>>and The Dance of 7,000 Veils.
>>Mister Bill Becomes A Seneschal.  That morning
>>found me in the kitchen,
>>learning to make baklava, surely a sign of my
>>SCA career to come.
>>
>>Selene Colfox
>>

>I was at that event.  The theme was "Come as
>What You Are Not."  It was amazing how many
>virgins showed up ...

That was the year before.  I was not there but later heard about it.
 Duchess Arianyn came as TALL in big big platform shoes.

1980 was O Ye Gods, lots of togas I think.  I came as a generic moon
goddess;  I had not settled on the SCA names "Selene" quite yet but it
was on the list.

>The name of the troup was "Hildegarde
>Schwarzkopf's Camel Drivers Roller Disco Belly
>Dancers", which included the Dance of the 70
>Veils, [not 7000] which was a comic take off of
>the Dance of the 7 Veils.

OK, a whole LOT of veils anyway!  I think that was Shammere The Tailor's
Daughter pulling yards and yards of knotted silk hankies out of her
drawers.  Awfully funny.

>  Mistress Lyndia
>padded herself to look pregnant and danced
>in 5 inch stiletto heels while chewing gum.
>
>[Three belly dancing no-nos].  Sir Martin, Sir
>Robear and Duryn the Red danced as the Brothers
>Karamozov.  It was nice to have men belly
>dancing for the ladies to ogle at.
>
>Huette [whose 30th SCA Anniversary is in a few
>days.]

OK so I am only an egg in comparison with your august self [or september
self either].

When Gwydioan showed up in the SCA again after a long break about 4
years ago, he said it was OK if we revived the Feast of Fools.  Wanna
start conniving?

Selene