[Sca-cooks] German Feast Formats

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 1 19:37:22 PDT 2004

German sources certainly exist; the only problem is that a great deal
of the German material hasn't been translated. One major name is Dr.
Trude Ehlert
whose home page is here:
http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/germanistik/alt/ehlert.htm
She's the author of  Das Kochbuch des Mittelalters.
You might want to start with the chapter on medieval Germany in Regional
Cuisines
of Medieval Europe, edited by Adamson. Adamson's essay on Germany does
mention the work
of Thomas Gloning.His homepage is
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kobu.htm

Albala's chapter in Food in Early Modern
Europe is short and concentrates on pointing out that Germany is a
modern concept.
The political states and regions that spoke German varied a great deal
and ranged from
Vienna to Saxony to Brandenburg.
If I can think of an easy way to do this, I will let you know. Perhaps a
travel account
or a court account written in English might be the way to go. Say a
contemporary
account in English.
I'll see if I can find something tomorrow.

Johnnae