[Sca-cooks] Buffet?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 2 02:23:14 PDT 2004

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>So, like, does anyone have any idea if there's a "period" word, in
>any Western European language, that means sort of like what "buffet"
>means today?

You might research [further, as in, don't take my word for it] the
Elizabethan sideboard or banquette, which is literally a piece of
furniture and, by extension, a bunch of foodstuffs served
thereon/therefrom. This would normally involve sweets, fruits, both
fresh and preserved, and light, palate-ey cleansers, that sort of
thing, and might be set up at a dance or other similar, celebration,
and as the name implies, off to one side of the room, to keep the
center clear for other activity. Sources like Markham have pretty
extensive instructions as to what kinds of things go on a banquette
and how to set it up.

One of the logistical problems you're probably going to run across in
trying to justify a buffet is some opposition to the idea that nobles
should serve themselves, or walk around in search of food, under
normal circumstances, and this opposition would come from the servers
as well as the nobs. The buffet you're probably thinking of (with or
without sneeze shield ;-)  ) is more an 18th-century thing, I think.

Adamantius