[Sca-cooks] Buffet?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 2 07:58:30 PDT 2004

My thought on this is that it also started with the furniture and
then went to the food placed on the furniture and then went
to being a style of service or dining where one went and got one's
food off the furniture. (I obviously need more pepsi this am. I micrograted
one finger last evening so I am typing with a band aid in place this am
too.)

OED--
Buffet is a blow or strike (blind man's buff) or as a verb to beat back;
a hassock or stool;
A sideboard or side-table, often ornamental, for the disposition of
china, plate, etc
which is 1718 for the earliest quotation. Or A cupboard in a recess for
china and glasses.
which is 1720 for the earliest quotation. and a refreshment bar which is
1792.

Sideboard is much older--

A table (esp. for taking meals at) placed towards the side of a room,
hall, etc.

    * 13.. E.E. Allit. P. B. 1398 Þenne was alle þe halle flor hiled
      with knytes, & barounes at þe side-bordes bounet ay-where;

By the 17th century this is mentioned--
1679 Hist. of Jetzer Pref. A b, They saw him every day..Dine at a
Side-board Table by himself.

Sideboard might work well as a term.  (Buffet might be better understood
by those
that aren't into the terminology of this all.)

Johnnae