[Sca-cooks] German Feast Formats

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 2 07:27:25 PDT 2004

Having given the question more thought, here's an approach that will work
given time (think weeks not hours) and a good sized library with ILLoan
facilities. An academic collection would be better.
The really major problem is the not reading the language which makes
even texts
like the one Wanda mentioned (Die Offentliche Tafel) questionable for
your purposes.
It's not a common book either. Only 13 libraries in the world report
holding a copy.
The review is up at---
Volker mentioned Marx Rumpoldt which is catalogued as Marx Rumpolt.
The facsimile is available and there's an edition up online in German.
Gwencat's translation  is a long term project.
There are 90 works listed under Cookery Germany --Early Works to 1800
and the
only one listed as being in English isn't going to be of help. [The
Germans tend to dump
everything in under the subject heading "Kochbuch" which doesn't help
when it comes
to identifying materials addressing a certain century.]
The obvious place to start of course would be with the Deutsche Bibliothek
Database which is the union catalog of the records of National Library
of Germany or the Deutsche Bibliothek.
But the question is...can you manage that if you don't read German?
Can you manage even to locate books on Amazon's German division?

So what I suggest you do is --- Get a good General hsitory of Germany or
Austria
of the German states. Then....
Choose a timeframe, an area or region or a court or a prince. Determine of
course if you want Catholic or Protestant (it does matter).
Then start reading everything you can about that court and era and region.
This will and should include biographical material, agricultural,
economic etc. Expand
out from the initial court accounts through the footnotes and
bibliographic materials.
Loan in everything that might offer so much as a paragraph on the topic.
Eventually you'll need to narrow down to time of year and event you want
to recreate.

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis
(if and when I make it to Vienna next month I'll look there for German
materials.)

Wanda Pease wrote:It is Die Offentliche Tafel - Tafelzeremoniell in
Europa 1300-1900.