[Sca-cooks] Re: things they dont explain about Pennsic

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Jun 3 11:03:02 PDT 2004

 >>I never knew there were kosher laws about materials. How

>> very interesting.
>> Now I have one more thing to put on my list of stuff to find
>> out more about.
>>   Thanks.
>> Olwen

>The rule is called "shatnez".  Here's a quick explanation -
> http://www.aish.com/literacy/mitzvahs/Wool_and_Linen_=_Shatnez.asp

I understand this to mean that they cannot be combined in one garment:
"One of these is the prohibition against wearing a mixture of wool and
linen in the same piece of clothing, as it is written, 'You shall not
wear combined fibers, wool and linen together' (Deut. 22:11)."  Though,
clearly, many kosher laws are practiced much more strictly than they are
written - for instance, some people keep chicken and butter in seperate
refrigerators because you're not supposed to "boil a kid in it's
mother's milk."  Is this a similar instance, where people won't wear two
seperate garments of linen and wool Just In Case?

Other tips I've learned about Pennsic:

Don't assume you can prereg for a camp without talking to the folks in
that camp.  Among other reasons, although technically they allot space
based on number of people, some blocks are so full and occupied by camps
that have years worth of squatters rights that there just isn't any more
room to be had.  Thus, even if a camp gets 20% more campers one year,
they won't get 20% more space.  This doesn't neccisarily mean that a
camp can't find room for you - but it may be a tight squeeze and you
won't get your full theoretical allotment.  Even if the camp gets it's
full allotment, it will probably require that you "donate" part of your
space for public space - campfire, dining tent.  While you are alloted
250 square feet, you may be asked to keep your personal space down to
maybe 200 feet.  Definately talk to folks about the culture of the
camp.  Will you be required to sign up for gate duty?  Is there a meal
plan, and if so will you be required to sign up to cook or clean a
certain number of times?  If it's a small camp, perhaps people take
turns going into town to do laundry and shop.  Make sure you know what
responsibilities you'll have in your camp, as well as what the
advantages are.

Unless you've been going to Pennsic for years and really have it down to
a science, you'll end up going into town; so, don't worry about carting
every morsel of food you think you'll need all the way from home, and if
you're not comfortable going to town in garb, bring enough street clothes.

Pennsic water turns brown when it gets warm.  It's, well, rust.  The
water has a high iron content, and when heated it oxidizes.  Don't freak
out if your solar shower bag or your dish washing water turns
reddish-brown.  It also has an odor from the sulfur content that becomes
more pronounced when it gets hot.  Neither the iron nor the sulfur will
hurt you unless you have a really sensitive tummy, but you may find them
distasteful especially if you've never had well water.

If you're in a busy camping area, keep an ear peeled for when the
port-a-potty trucks clean the toilets, and go use them while they're
still fresh and innocent.  They clean them a couple times a day,
fortunately.  If you have to use them late at night, especially in a
high traffic area, take a flashlight - especially if you're wearing long
skirts.

The solar showers are best around late afternoon - plenty of time for
the sun to do it's work.  The "real" showers are, as stated in the
previous e-mail, best in the wee hours of the mornin'.

Remember that it's illegal to carry alcohol across state lines.  If
you're bringing homebrew or cordials, be wary.  If you're bringing a
couple cases of Beast because the boys down at Bob's Beer Shak give you
a special deal on the outdated stuff, well, is it really worth the
risk?  (From a true story... a guy I knew in college bought the outdated
cases of Beast because they were $6.  Regular price was only $8.  All I
could do was shake my head and sigh, and enjoy my real beer...)

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

Cleaning and cooking can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I've learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs, dust, go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.