[Sca-cooks] things they dont explain about Pennsic

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Jun 3 11:26:29 PDT 2004

>10. food storage and eating
>
>ice, lots of ice.  replace/add  ice frequently.  buy the best cooler you can
>get.  even if you do not plan on cooking store at least drinks in there....

Or alternatively, figure out how to do without ice. We concluded many
years ago that not only are coolers full of ice strikingly mundane,
they are also a nuisance. You have to keep putting in ice and they
have an annoying tendency to dump melt water on whatever you don't
want to get wet.

So we decided to try to do without ice or a cooler and have never
regretted it. For cooking, that means  using things that keep
(cheese, hard sausage, eggs for a reasonable while, beans, ...) or
can be bought at the Coopers, or arranging with friends who are
coming later than you are to bring meat for that day's dinner. For
drinking, we generally mix up sekanjabin. The water comes out of the
tap reasonably cool, and one doesn't have to have iced drinks.

And an extra benefit is that it pushes us into thinking about how
medieval people would have solved the same set of problems.

Elizabeth generally does a class entitled "Pennsic without a Cooler,"
for anyone interested.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com