[Sca-cooks] things they dont explain about Pennsic

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Jun 7 08:16:16 PDT 2004

oh i agree. doing without a cooler is very, very good. if you can, and you
want to!    (see recipe at the end of this post)

but if you are going to bring things that must be kept cool, it is very easy
for the novice to forget to add ice..... and bad meat is not a good way to
"enjoy" Pennsic....

i, personally, find dry ice to be a blessing. nothing gets "wet" when it
melts(evaporates) but it is tricky to handle.
i freeze bottles of drinking water, then i drink them when they melt. lasts
me several days at Pennsic.

Recipe to keep Eggs

based on my own experimentation, from mention in a period cookbook about
storing meat and eggs in viniger.
in period they would likely have added more spices, but i am alergic.  add
spices if you like.

take a large wide mouth jar of glass or ceramic, that can be sealed well (i
use large mason jars)

clean it well, and heat it in boiling water

place hard boiled eggs, out of their shell, in the jar (some folks just
crack the shell)

now pour in viniger heated to almost boiling, mixed with a goodly amount of
salt.
( i use balsamic viniger.)

seal the jar.
when at home i put it in the fridge, but they keep well in shady spots.

if the viniger is hot enough, and enough salt is added, the eggs turn black
and kind of tough on the outside...and very tasty

a modern recipe also adds tea bags or soy sauce...
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...