[Sca-cooks] Today in History.....

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 4 05:45:03 PDT 2004

IIRC, Pliny makes some favorable comments on a cheese from Lacanne which is
probably Rouquefort.  That is 79 CE so the date of this fact is only off by
a 1000 and some years.  There is also some evidence that Roquefort was part
of the annual taxes paid to Charlemagne, because he enjoyed the cheese.

Presumably (because I haven't vetted the source), sole rights to the cheese
and its aging were conveyed to the village of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon in 1411
by Charles VI of France.

Ahh sniff at zees "fac'".

Bear

.....In 1070 Roquefort cheese discovered

What?  Did they find a long lost "science project" in a back corner of the
cheese cave?  And recorded they date?  Maybe I should be keeping better
track of some of the things I dig out of the dark recesses of my ice box
occasionally.

Sorry, I'm not awake yet, and this just struck me as funny.  Please carry on
with your meaningful work.

Mairi Ceilidh