[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jun 4 10:44:23 PDT 2004

> 6) Pennsylvania has some different traffic laws than other states, some
> differences in intensity of enforcement, and a few police who specifically
> target SCA people enroute or around Pennsic.

Bear in mind that I've been to Pennsic 7 times in the last 9 years, and
there hasn't been a credible accusation about this in that time. Of
course, I'm from PA.

>The main issues I know of are:
> 1) Children up to(thru?) age 8 need to be in car seats.
> 2) There are speed traps on many if not all of the main routes to Pennsic
> including quite far away from Pennsic.  There are indications that Pennsic
> is specifically targeted.

What indications? The fact that on the first Thursday of war last year,
PennDOT started construction on the main route to Pennsic? Believe you me,
the State of PA don't know nothin' about Pennsic.

> 3) There are issues with alcohol being brought into the state.  Can't
> remember exactly what.  But it seems to me that someone checked and that
> homemade for personal use (ie not for sale) was ok.  Someone might want to
> check for latest info to be sure.

_Federal_ (United States) law prohibits taking alcohol across state lines.

Now, PA is one of the states where open containers of booze in a car and
drinking booze while driving is forbidden...

> 4) Due to severe problems in PA with unregistered and uninsured drivers,
> there are often times where all cars are stopped and people must produce
> license, registration, and insurance info.  So keep these accessible.  At
> one point if people couldn't produce these, they were taking their cars for
> several weeks.

_Whenever_ you are stopped for anything (including a DUI or Homeland
Security checkpoint) you generally have to produce this paperwork.

> 5) If you go into town, be sure to take your Pennic parking hangtag off your
> mirror as you are exiting the site.  The local police heavily target this
> violation.

At one particular Pennsic (many years ago), the cops from one township did
in fact target this violation. I believe it caused a local scandal. :) In
general, taking your hangtag off is a good idea.

> 7) If the class and event lists are up before you go to Pennsic, you can
> save Pennsic time by mapping out your schedule ahead of time.  Do check
> everyday though for additions and cancelations.

In fact, during the last two years due to database error, having the class
schedule off the website was more accurate than the one in the book.
This is supposed to be fixed this year. In general, classes will be added
after the May 1 deadline for the book, so the list online is always
better-- and always check by the A&S point to be sure. This is people's
vacation, and plans change.

> 8) If you sleep in comfortable tunic and pants, it makes hiking to and using
> the restrooms easier at night.  Most people prefer having a flashlight for
> this, though some will carry a lit lantern.

Suggestion: below the knee tunic works better, as you don't have to get
your pants on the floor of the portapotty. Keep slip on shoes or flip
flops by the tent door for the late night porta potty runs.

> 11) The Pennsic chocolate milk is deservedly legendary, and if you are going
> to have one nonperiod food item during your time at Pennsic either this or
> the fresh corn would get my vote.

Visit farm stands and buy from them if you go off site.

> 16) Take a pot large enough to heat water for dish washing, and some dish
> pans as well as a dish drying rack.  There are wooden dish drying racks.
> Period looking dish pans are harder to find.

A big white or terracotta colored bowl works for the 10 foot rule (look
for plastic bowls sized for salad or popcorn).

> 17) It's helpful to take some water hose and a Y-connector to help move
> water around your encampment.  Some encampments have plumbed kitchen sink
> set ups. (Yes, here's a place where people really do pack the kitchen sink
> :-) ).

A kitchen sink, even with cold water, is very worth it. A plywood table
with a cut out hole for a basin is a great help, and if you cut a hole,
fit a drain hose, and add a stopper, it's even better.

> 30) There are at least two grocery stores in town which will special order
> meats and other foods for you.  This way you can get some of the more
> unusual period items.

Also, be sure to shop at the Pepperers Guild. It's a great experience.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to
think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault.
If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be.
I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do
the bad things." -- Terry Pratchett, _Jingo_