[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 4 11:30:28 PDT 2004

> > 6) Pennsylvania has some different traffic laws than other states, some
> > differences in intensity of enforcement, and a few police who
>specifically
> > target SCA people enroute or around Pennsic.

Odd thing that.  Last year there was all sorts of noise on the Merry Rose,
at least, about the PA turnpike and construction and all.  Inagine
everyone's surprize that no one bothered to mention ANYTHING about the end
of the turnpike being moved!!

>>  If you sleep in comfortable tunic and pants, it makes hiking to and
>>using
> > the restrooms easier at night.  Most people prefer having a flashlight
>for
> > this, though some will carry a lit lantern.
>
>Suggestion: below the knee tunic works better, as you don't have to get
>your pants on the floor of the portapotty. Keep slip on shoes or flip
>flops by the tent door for the late night porta potty runs.

Hm.  So very many folks I know don't do this night run any more.  Most have
purchased camping potties from places like K-Mart.

> > 17) It's helpful to take some water hose and a Y-connector to help move
> > water around your encampment.  Some encampments have plumbed kitchen
>sink
> > set ups. (Yes, here's a place where people really do pack the kitchen
>sink
> > :-) ).
>
>A kitchen sink, even with cold water, is very worth it. A plywood table
>with a cut out hole for a basin is a great help, and if you cut a hole,
>fit a drain hose, and add a stopper, it's even better.

Our camp is on a bit of a slope and we share the water spiggot with Iron
Lance.  A few years back a joint project was worked out and set into action.
  They dug a trench and buried a drainage line with a collector type box
near the spiggot and we drain our sinks and their shower into that so we
don't have the whole slippery muddy affair much any longer.  Much better!

Has anyone mentioned bleach water for final rinse of cookware and eating
plates, etc?  (see! OFC)