[Sca-cooks] Cheese (was:Today in History.....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 23:04:08 PDT 2004

  Mairi Ceiidh commented:
> But...but...but.....do you mean I can't trust what I find on the
> internet
> and use it as primary documentation???  Even if it comes through my
> email???
No, but I like to think it can be a good place to start your search.
Although perhaps I'm a bit biased on this...
> Seriously, I'm thinking that cheese is going to be one of my next big
> passions (making it, that is--eating it already is).  Since I am
> somewhat of
> an authenticity freak, I would enjoy having more information on
> sources of
> cheese facts.

Perhaps these files in the FOOD section of the Florilegium might be of
use:
cheese-msg       (124K)  3/28/04    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
fresh-cheeses-msg (43K)  3/28/04    Fresh cheeses such as ricotta,
cream cheese
                                        and cottage cheese. Non-aged
cheeses.
cheese-goo-msg    (32K)  9/ 1/02    Digby's Savory Tosted cheese.
melted cheese.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                        Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesecake-msg    (48K)  3/22/03    Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
cheesemaking-msg  (96K)  7/ 7/03    Comments and info. on cheesemaking.
Recipes.

And since Bear mentioned Charlemagne's cheese, here is a rebuttal to
some of the things often mentioned about what this cheese likely was:
Charles-Chees-art (14K)  2/27/02    "Charlemagne's Cheese: a study in
the
                                        un/reliability of sources" by
Tangwystyl
> While on the subject, anybody out there have any experience with using
> Beer or rose water as a clotting agent in cheese making?
Not that I've heard mentioned before. There are various herbs that can
be used if you don't want to use rennet. But for those whose concern is
using rennet on vegetarian concerns, modernly there is also a rennet
produced from plant sources.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas