[Sca-cooks] Swallenberg Sauce

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 6 06:38:03 PDT 2004

I suspect Atlas is being sloppy and Adamson is trying for precision in
language and definition.

Atlas apparently believes the author errored in the spelling and has chosen
to use a verb form of the word "braun" ("brown") to replace it.  It's not
good form in translation to change the word without note.  It would have
been more proper to keep the original word and explain the translation
choices.

My opinion, "brinnen" is a form of "brennen," which is a verb meaning "to
burn."  The precise meaning is given by the context.  In this context, I
believe it may mean "to carbonize" or "to brown," which actually fits all
three definitions.  I would probably use the "cook friendly" Lemmer/Schultz
footnote as a starting point for experimentation.

Have fun.

Bear