[Sca-cooks] S.O.B Stew

karobert at unm.edu karobert at unm.edu
Sun Jun 6 19:55:30 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>:

> >Uhm...what is it?
> >--maire
>
> I'll leave it to Master A to provide the details but Sonnavab****
> stew was
> made after a cow was slaughtered to feed the wranglers. It's
> basically a
> stew made from the innards. Heart, liver, tripe, stomach...whatever.

yeppers... and tho i haven't pulled down my chuck wagon cookbook, i
would bet the uniquitous potatoes and canned 'maters as well.

and yes, was renamed for ANYONE who was out of favor at the time.

food channel had a cool show on "chuckwagon challenge" held in nearby
(okay.... 130+ miles... but that's how we think out here) ruidoso.  real
chuckwagon implements, grub, and chuckwagons themselves.

was glad to see that the dude who used balsamic vinegar in his grub did
NOT win! ;)

very much like seige cooking.  people knew pretty much what they might
get, brought flour, spices and fat, but the dried fruit is a mystery
addition every year.  potential contestants would practice with all
kinds of dried fruit for desserts months before the actual competition,
to be sharp no matter what they got.   but when something burned.... it
was b-l-a-c-k....BLACK!!!!!!!!!!

way cool to see all that dutch oven cooking... not like out fire
restrictions would allow it around ablq. right about now.

cailte