[Sca-cooks] Macaroni

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jun 8 14:41:40 PDT 2004

Also sprach Linda Peterson:
>I think she's asking about the shape. Were there any extruded pasta in
>period? My impression is they were all cut from flat sheets?
>
>Mirhaxa

I believe both Platina (and presumably Martino) as well as at least
one or two other Italian sources, such as that Neapolitan manuscript
Scully has an edition of, call for macaroni to be made by rolling the
dough into firm, pencil-thin cylinders, and then poking an iron
needle, like a knitting needle, into it along its length.

So while not extruded per se, something like perciatelli seems to be
the end result.

Adamantius