[Sca-cooks] different folks, was shabbos wine, was shabbos candles, was Kashrut

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Jun 10 07:02:45 PDT 2004

Thanks for the kind words....
I suspect it is easier to deal with as an occasional guest, than as a less
orthodox relative dealing with more orthodox/strict relatives. I expect,
like many things having to do with relatives, it would grate....

basically I figure there are lots of things that can bug someone about food.
religion
allergies
dislikes
cultural habits (see also religion)
personal squikage...

my theory is that if I can make someone more comfortable by not touching an
open bottle of wine (especially if it doesn't even mean I cant have any, I
just cant pour) it is a pretty minor thing to do.

it is LOTS tougher to cook a fully kosher meal in a non kosher kitchen (it
CAN be done, and I have done it! but you do use a heck of a lot of tin
foil.....)

and just try dealing with someone who has lethal, and very sensitive
allergies, to an ingredient you *routinely* use in your kitchen... you need
to spend HOURS scrubbing everything, and making sure nothing is accidentally
contaminated with...nuts...or...chocolate...or mushrooms... or peanuts... or
fish.... (yes, I know people with each of those allergies, and I am allergic
to Garlic.. find a restaurant we can all eat at, I dare you!. oh, yeah and
another friend is allergic to all Peppers.....)

I happen to know a lot about the kosher rules, and very little about the
restrictions in some other groups, because I studied kashrus. and was trying
to cook for people who kept more or less kosher......

I know more than any human should ever need to about textiles and
rules/allergies/quirks, because I sell the stuff..... and darn it, I am not
going to lose a sale because some wool touched my linen.......

<shrug>
I appreciate the thank yous, but I think it is mostly difficult when you try
to absorb it ALL AT ONCE, which this discussion is probably doing for some
folks...... it is much, much easier to learn it one step at a time, or one
chapter at a time.

if you are interested in learning about kashrut. there are several source
books... but one of the better ones (with RECIPES!) is
"the spice and spirit of kosher cooking"
neat book......

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...