[Sca-cooks] buying or selling garb

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Thu Jun 10 15:29:52 PDT 2004

 Living in a small town in Central Montana,  I had a seamstress charge
$7.00/hr for making  bog dresses with trim at the neck, sleeves and hem.  I
bought the material & trim, and after the first one, at $49.00, the  others
were cheaper because she had the pattern  & concept down so it was $35.00 or
so.   Yee- haw!  for Kate!  was the teacher impressed?

Caointiarn

> So do you think people would actually pay reasonable prices for early
period  garb?  I would make stuff for sale if I thought people would buy it.
The problem  from my perspective is that it takes a certain amount of time
to make garb I  would be willing to sell, and I would have to charge for
time and materials,  resulting in prices that would be at least $75 for a
plain wool tunic or gown.< > OFC: Kate got an A on her medieval French food
presentation.