[Sca-cooks] Things to BUY at Pennsic

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Jun 10 16:31:07 PDT 2004

At 02:57 PM 6/10/2004, you wrote:
>So do you think people would actually pay reasonable prices for early period
>garb?

Nope.
>I would make stuff for sale if I thought people would buy it. The problem
>from my perspective is that it takes a certain amount of time to make garb I
>would be willing to sell, and I would have to charge for time and materials,
>resulting in prices that would be at least $75 for a plain wool tunic or
>gown. A really *good* plain tunic, an authentic plain tunic with no visible
>machine stitching, but a plain tunic nonetheless.

I merchanted (children's garb) for 5 or 6 years, and people won't pay for
decent clothes.
They would balk at paying $15 for a nice tunic for a 10-year-old, plain,
solid wool, modest trim, would take me $8ish in materials (I got a lot of
stuff on sale or at thrift shops) 3-4 hours to make, flat-felled seams,
bias-bound hems, neck, and sleeves. You do the math. Was it worth it? PPBBBFT!

I currently charge $12/hr for commission work. I've been told it's too low,
but I think it's honest for my time. I still have people gasp at the
thought of paying that much. I'm fast- I can do an adult's tunic (basic
Norman/12th c style- my famous Not 'Just' A T-Tunic) in 5-6 hours if the
trim is simple. Extensive handwork will cost a little more. I did a tunic
recently for a friend that had simple embroidery around the cuffs, yoke,
and hems- drove my time up to 10 hours. But it looked wicked. ;-)

So just for my labor (do I want to low-ball myself?Nope!) is $60-72.
Quality materials are likely to cost as much (though I do get lucky- my red
wool houpp cost less than $5 because I pulled the wool out of a bin at
Goodwill) if not more.

Retailing (on merchant's row) was soooooo not worth it- think of the
overhead involved just in the fabric and trims! I could barely afford to
keep my little business going, and that was scrimping along with little
tunics made if 1 or 1 1/2 yrds! I could not imagine sinking money into an
array of fabric, dealing with sizing, trying to anticipate the trends and
market, then having people complain about the prices ("I could make that
cheaper at home! Why don't you then? Why are you standing there in a 'poet'
shirt, baggy pants, a piano shawl around your hips, criticizing that
well-made wool tunic?), or on the other end, complain that I machine sewed
the seams and how this fabric should have a z-twist weft and the color
isn't quite right for a natural dye- and *then* complain about the price.

Can't win.

Cranky 'Lainie