[Sca-cooks] Not just clothing - was Things to BUY at Pennsic

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 19:16:54 PDT 2004

Some would - most probably would not.

I was in a conversation a few weeks ago with someone (who doesn't know
me, or what I do) who was expounding on the idea that a garb merchant
could sew a t-tunic in 20 minutes. Um, no... he explained to me that he
was talking about professionals who knew how to sew. I told him I'd give
him the references of costume shops I've worked in... He explained to
his audience that he was talking about low-end, mass produced stuff... I
told him I can't mass produce junk in 20 minutes... though I might be
able to get true trash under an hour... with the industrial machines
he'd explained to them I didn't know about, which themselves cost
money... I know, I do, in fact, have one...

Moreover, someone here spoke of a seamstress charging $7 an hour.
Perhaps that works in your small town, but here, that's poverty level -
certainly not anything I'm willing to work for. $12 is the minimum I get
in a shop. Yes, the garment industry pays pieceworkers that $7... but
that assumes a whole business, with managers and salespeople paid a lot
more!

This is not just about clothing. It's the same attitude that has people
complaining about paying $10 for a three course meal, because they
"know" you could have brought the price down if you'd just tried. People
don't have any idea how much work is involved in things they don't do,
and they often devalue other people's time. Especially since they see
this as just a hobby... you're sewing, or cooking, or making whatever,
because you enjoy it, so there's no real reason to do much more than
cover the material! Or, in the case of cooking, even really cover that
cost...

AEllin