[Sca-cooks] Why not just water in Mac and cheese

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 12 21:58:14 PDT 2004

Yes.

My mother told me that the first cake mixes had everything in them, you
just needed to add water. And they didn't sell well, found women didn't
like them - and one reason was that they didn't feel they were baking.
They tried having the customer add the egg and oil, and they took off...
Drove me nuts in college, the only time I ever really used cake mixes,
as the whole reason I bought a mix was that I didn't have a stock of
ingredients!

Now, her mother didn't like to bake. When Mom was a little girl she
wanted to bake a cake, and her mother went to the pantry and handed her
a box. (Sometime in the mid to late 1920's, this was...) She said she
never could figure out why she had it, how long she had it, or what she
planned to do with it. Mom followed the directions, baked something that
I gather could easily have been used as plaster patch, and then happily
ate the icing and left the cake... she was pretty little...

AEllin