[Sca-cooks] Non-dairy coconut pie

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 13 06:37:13 PDT 2004

Also sprach a5foil:
>Last night I was at said grocery, and my not-quite-14-year-old daughter (not
>the French-class one) was looking at the cake mixes and asked if she could
>bake a cake. I said, "Sure. You can do some research (on non-dairy cakes)
>and make one from scratch!" She'll do it, too.
>
>And for me, today's project is converting the coconut pie recipe to
>non-dairy.

I assume that means there are no coconut allergies involved. I've had
some nice results using canned coconut milk (essentially almond milk
made from coconut, as opposed to coconut water, the liquid inside the
coconut, which is sometimes called milk, or coconut cream, which is a
usually-sweetened, reduced product a bit like condensed milk) in
coconut custard pie. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?
Other than that, you might want to add some animal-fat richness to it
by slightly increasing the egg yolk content...

Adamantius