[Sca-cooks] Cake mix, was Why not just water in Mac and cheese

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 13 07:47:36 PDT 2004

On 13 Jun 2004, at 9:22, a5foil wrote:

> Last night I was at said grocery, and my not-quite-14-year-old daughter (not the
> French-class one) was looking at the cake mixes and asked if she could bake a
> cake. I said, "Sure. You can do some research (on non-dairy cakes) and make one
> from scratch!" She'll do it, too.

Tell her to Google "war cake".  She'll find recipes for a raisin spice cake with
no milk, eggs, or butter.

Also Google: recipes parve cakes.
For those who keep kosher, Parve is a "neutral" category of foods, neither
meat nor dairy.  Because dairy-containing desserts cannot follow a meat
meal, there are quite a few recipes for parve cakes.

> Cynara

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net