[Sca-cooks] Non-dairy coconut pie

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 13 10:43:49 PDT 2004

Also sprach a5foil:
>Thanks, Adamantius! No, no coconut allergies, obviously. I had planned to
>try both almond milk (because I have some extra that needs to be used up)
>and coconut milk. And I will substitute pareve soy margarine for the butter.
>I will also try adding an extra egg yolk -- whenever I've substituted almond
>milk for regular in a custard, it has come out tasting a bit thin.
>
>Cynara

Yeah, if you substitute, say, two yolks for one of the whole eggs, or
four yolks for two eggs, you'll get a richer, creamier product, but
not one so different from a typical whole-egg baked custard that the
filling will be liquidy or too loose or anything like that.

You might also try butter-flavored Crisco (or is that considered
dairy?) or some other equivalent, for the butter (which I assume is
used as a pastry shortening?).

A.