[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: [long] Cultural Evolution and the "traditional" banquet in NYC's Chinatown

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jun 13 11:02:07 PDT 2004

It's Sunday and the list has been dead all weekend, so the account
is welcome. It goes rather well with the NYTimes Sunday Magazine
article today on publishing ''How to Cook and Eat in Chinese,'' by Buwei
Yang Chao
back in the 1940's.
I read your account and what came to my mind is I wonder
what the local restaurant store had on sale and if the guy/gal who
did the shopping came across some of the foods and said
"Let's substitute that. No one will know."
Of course Chinese in the Midwest is an interesting experience.
The local restaurant was quite good, but since it's been sold they are
doing odd things like forgetting that sweet and sour shrimp requires
sweet and sour sauce. My one librarian friend knows of a successful
Vietnamese immigrant that has made good in America by running
a successful Chinese restaurant with Mexican cooks. No one speaks
the same language, so they resort to some sort of sign language
and following the commands of "Do this dish this way!" The owner
will show them how to do the dish and then they follow the steps.

Johnnae