[Sca-cooks] Semi-OT: [long] Cultural Evolution and the "traditional" banquet in NYC's Chinatown

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 12:42:45 PDT 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Little Peking Duck sandwiches. IOW, a Peking
> Duck presentation which
> did not feature the elaborate tableside
> presentation and ritualistic
> carving theater. They just carved them, put
> them on the little
> pancakes (which seem to have evolved away from
> the same tortilla-like
> pancake that used to be served with mu-xi pork,

I thought that this was called mu shu pork?  Or
are there regional variations?  One of my
co-workers from Taiwan never heard of mu shu
anything, until we went together to one of the
restaurants in LA's Chinatown.

> and morphed into a
> little, ruffled-edge and clearly leavened,
> cake, about four inches
> across. Served as a sandwich with two cakes,
> the duck skin and meat,
> hoisin sauce, and shredded scallion. Very nice,
> but not the way I
> remember Peking Duck.

Do you remember what they called this dish, as I
would love to try to order this.  It sounds
absolutely delicious.

> Battered, fried shrimp with fried, candied
> walnuts in a lemony,
> mayonnaise-like sauce, on top of broccoli
> florets. Pretty standard
> stuff, and we all cried over the
> pedestrian-ness of it all, while we
> ate it. Not.

In a local restaurant, one of their signiture
dishes is steamed shrimp with candied walnuts
in a lobster sauce.  It is very, very yum.

> Personally, I like a good I.P.A. with such a
> meal, but this was a
> nice improvement over the water-glass of
> blended Scotch on the
> rocks... and I had a bottle of I.P.A. in the
> fridge at home, so
> everything worked out beautifully.

What is I.P.A?  Inimatably putrid alcohol?
Inadvertantly pricey alcohol?

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.