[Sca-cooks] herbs, was Things to BUY at Pennsic

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jun 15 13:47:25 PDT 2004

All of the below are safe in dried, cut form for those who are not
allergic to them. Southernwood (an Artemesia often grown for wreaths and
also called 'Old Woman' by some authorities) should be pretty inert, as
should tansy, rue, pennyroyal and the mints. Howewver, both tansy and the
artemesias can collect dust in their leaves, so be aware of that allergen
collector.

Sometimes the fresh form of rue can cause contact dermatitis, but dried
and placed in a sachet it should be fine.

Any herb has the potential to cause allergic reactions, just like any
other substance, but none of these are supposed to be hazardous in dried
form if not taken internally.