[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 15 23:05:30 PDT 2004

Master Cariadoc declared:
> > I used to use a candle lantern at Pennsic, but eventually concluded
> > that it wasn't worth the trouble. There's usually a fair amount of
> > light, what with moon, torches, other people's lanterns, and the
> > like. If you don't have a bright light to blind yourself with, you
> > can manage pretty well without--unless, of course, you have unusually
> > bad night vision. I think it's one more example of something we are
> > used to and so simply assume we have to have--but don't actually
> need.
Yes and no. I understand the idea and it is applaudable but the
implementation has problems. Among them, I think it is rather
idealistic to think medieval folks wandered around without bringing
lighting. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I get the impression that in
general they feared the dark and being out and about in it,
particularly in unfamiliar terrain, was not done if it could be
avoided. Yes, it happened. For many reasons.

Scurrying around in towns after dark would likely have gotten you in
trouble with the watch, if they saw you.

Much lighting at Pennsic, both handheld and otherwise, could be turned
down. The "street lights" on the Serrengetti I could do without for
instance.
Jadwiga said:
> I think it may depend on whether you know where you are/where you are
> going. When I have to go out to someplace I don't know at night, I
> bring a
> lantern so I can read signs, etc.
Yes and it is also hard to read the Pennsic map without some kind of
light.
> I can manage fine going to a friend's
> camp or to the portajohn, but if I get lost I'll need light. Of course,
> for the founder of Pennsic that might not be a problem. :)
I think it would be more that he has been there recently and year after
year. I suspect that if you took Cariadoc of Pennsic    7 and dropped
him in the middle of Pennsic 32, he would probably be as lost as gentle
for whom that was their first or second Pennsic. Cariadoc?

I have also walked long sections of Pennsic without a light. But I
carry a small flashlight with me. Lighting it briefly has kept folks
from walking into *me*. I have also tripped and twisted my leg when
dark shadows in the road actually turned out to be deep ruts or holes.
A small flashlight can also be very handy in the privy.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com