[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 15:51:35 PDT 2004

David/Cariadoc wrote:
>  >8) If you sleep in comfortable tunic and pants, it makes hiking to and using
>  >the restrooms easier at night.  Most people prefer having a flashlight for
>  >this, though some will carry a lit lantern.

>  >23) If you go to dinner or a party in another encampment, take a flashlight
>  >or lantern with you to make your return easier.
>
>I used to use a candle lantern at Pennsic, but eventually concluded
>that it wasn't worth the trouble. There's usually a fair amount of
>light, what with moon, torches, other people's lanterns, and the
>like. If you don't have a bright light to blind yourself with, you
>can manage pretty well without--unless, of course, you have unusually
>bad night vision. I think it's one more example of something we are
>used to and so simply assume we have to have--but don't actually need.

Although i've yet to get to Pennsic, i too find i don't need a light
to get to the privvy at events, for the reasons cited by His Grace.
In fact all those folks with flashlights can be annoying as they
interfere with my night vision (and let me point out here that my
vision is not very good)

I do take a lantern of some sort with me (usually battery powered)
that i turn on ONLY as i enter the porta-pottie so i can see if
there's something i shouldn't step in or sit on...

Anahita
lacking the plumbing to stand and pee and so i do need to see what's
in the little room