[Sca-cooks] Compost: Black Radishes, Carrots

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 20 06:31:45 PDT 2004

Stefan scripsit:

> No, I believe that the orange carrot may be medieval. What you are
> thinking of is the sweet, orange carrot, but even that appears to be a
> 16th C Dutch hybrid.

You all have to remember that Thomas and I are working exclusively with 14th
century and earlier, so a 16th century Dutch hybrid would be out of period
for us. AND in Anahita's case -- Forme of Cury -- it would also be out of
period, since FoC is circa 1390.

Yes, medieval carrots did come in colors. There are recipes that call for
white carrots, presumably to distinguish them from the red, black or purple
ones.

Cynara