[Sca-cooks] Digby's Small Cakes

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 21 20:03:42 PDT 2004

By "where to start" I meant I knew to start in the Florilegium... I
never thought of the desserts file! Having its own file may make a lot
of sense, as the posts seem kind of scattered, now.

People seemed to like them... commented favorably on number of currants
and texture. Looking back on it, I think that's what the warming did -
brought the dough together enough to support the huge amount of
currants. (Remember, this is a pound. A box is only 12 oz.)  When I
first mixed them into the flour-sugar mixture, my
reaction was that this would never hold together, too much fruit - but,
lo and behold, it did.

Oh, I did make my first two baking sheets a handsbreadth in size, but
made the rest smaller, because of the nature of the event. (These were
for munchies during breaks from dancing.) Both seemed to work equally
well. I patted them all down thin. And, as I said, I didn't notice the
pricking doing very much...

I did try the sprinkle sugar and put them back in the oven method of
icing. It kind of worked... if I do that again, I'll do it while baking
- whisk them out just before they are done, sugar, and then finish. This
didn't quite melt the sugar (though a fair bit stuck) and over browned
them... not quite burnt, but closer than I'd have quite liked.

I would also be very interested in what Cariadoc has to say. I kept
asking questions because I kept expecting someone to point out the
obvious reason  I was missing as to why it wouldn't work... I still have
that nagging feeling. However, they did indeed work, and were good (OK,
I won't claim excellence, I'll leave that to Digby *G*.)

Thank you to everyone who commented, and especially to Adamantius, who
answered my questions and encouraged my lunacy.

Next time - yes, there will be one...
I'll find the scale and we'll see if that changes
measurements/proportions/results.
I'll use the sherry.
I'll ice them differently.

AEllin