[Sca-cooks] [ca-cooks] OP & OT: My 50th Birthday!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 01:34:43 PDT 2004

--- Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Stefan, sushi is actually the rice.  Many
> people have coloquialized the term
> to include the raw fish and other goodies but
> technically that is incorrect.
>   The raw fish is actually called sushimi.

Although there are many websites using this
misspelling, the correct word is "sashimi".
I have consulted with several Japanese friends
and they all tell me that I am correct and that
there is no real word in Japanese pronounced
"sushimi".  Sushi can be composed of sashimi
and rice and other ingredients, but not all sushi
has sashimi in it. Imari sushi is fried tofu with
rice. Tamago sushi is egg omelet with rice.
Ikura sushi is salmon roe.  Uni sushi is sea
urchin roe.  You can also eat sashimi by itself.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.