[Sca-cooks] Saffron in Ireland

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 04:17:24 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/21/2004 9:14:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ranvaig at columbus.rr.com writes:

<<Where is saffron native, and when did it come to Ireland?>>

I don't know all the details, but I do know that it grows in England (don't
know if it was native there or introduced early), so Ireland's not a far step.
Frome of Cury, which is one of the earliest extant English cookbooks, uses
saffron extensively; there are times I think it's in every recipe!
And the town of Saffron Waldon was named for it's major crop in the Middle
Ages...

Brangwayna